Towards Effective Teaching and Learning ESP in Mixed Classes: Students’ Interest, Challenges and Remedies
This study reports on students’ interest in English for Specific Purposes (ESP) and challenges impeding their effective learning. The study is anchored on Richards’ Communicative Language teaching theory (CLT) framed on principles of language teaching and learning. Both qualitative and quantitative approaches were used. A four Likert Scale questionnaire was used to gather information from forty – five respondents determined basing on Morgan and Krejcie’s approach. Analysis revealed that despite that majority of students are interested in English for Specific purposes, factors such as fear of practice, few or lack of appropriate facilities, class size affect teaching and learning . It was recommended that the three parts concerned with the teaching and learning play their parts to grapple with these challenges.
2. Bazimaziki, Gabriel (2018) Students’ perceptions of using a foreign language in a mother tongue dominated environment: Contrastive analysis. International Journal for innovation Education and Research (IJIER).6(2), 01-12.
3. Burkšaitienė Nijolė & Šliogerienė, Jolita (2018) Students’ Experience of Learning ESP: Findings from a Case Study in Lithuania. The Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purposes. 6(3), 489-500
4. Duyen Can (2019) ESP Teacher’s perceptions and practices of formative assessment: An institutional case study in Vietnam. American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Research (AJHSSR), 3(5), 143-148.
5. Elsadig Ali Elsadig Elnadeef & Ayman Hamad Elneil Hamadan Abdala( 2019) The Effectiveness of English Club as Free Speaking Activity Strategy in Fostering Speaking Skill in Saudi Arabia Context. International Journal of Linguistics, Literature and Translation (IJLLT). 2(1)231-236.
6. Frankenberg-Garcia Ana (2018) Investigating the Collocations Available to EAP writers. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 35 (2018), 93-104.
7. Kimbouala Nkaya, Allembe Rodrigue Lézin and Moustapha Gilbert Salomon (2018) Language Teaching and Motivation: Factors Preventing EFL Learners from Effectively Learning English and Strategies to Motivating Learners. International Journal of Current Research.10 (11), 75292-75296.
8. Le Van Tuye, & Tran Thị Trang Loan (2019) Factors Affecting EFL Students’ Willingness to Communicate in Speaking Classes at the Vietnamese Tertiary Level. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences. 4(2), 252-262.
9. Lenard, D. Božić & Lenard, I. (2018) Examining Pedagogical content knowledge of ESP teachers. The Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purpose. 6(3), 353-364.
10. Mahendran, S. (2019) Learning English through Active Participation (LEAP). International Journal of English, Literature and Social Sciences (IJELS). 4(1), 135-139.
11. Mohammad Qasim, AlTarawneh & Eyad Ahmad, AlMithgal. (2019)Teachers’ and Students’ Perceptions of Using L1 in the ESP Classroom: a Case of Medical English at an Applied Medical College in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Linguistics, Literature and Translation (IJLLT). 2(3), 19-35.
12. Morgan, Daryle, W. & Krejcie, Robert, V. (1970) Determining Sample Size for Research Activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement.30, (607-610).
13. Richards Jack, C. (2006) Communicative Language Teaching Today. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
14. Rupert, W. (2016) Speaking Test Development in English for Academic Purpose: A Pilot study. University of Stirlling: British Council.
15. Sumipo, Jasmin, M. (2019) The Reading Comprehension Levels of Grade 12 ABM Students: An ESP Design for Basic English Course. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences (IJELS), 4(1), 114-119.
16. Tichie Ann Econg-Baena (2013) The Implementation of Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) Approach in English 1/101 towards a Faculty Development Program. (Available from http://eltweekly.com/2013/05/the-implementation-of-communicative-language-teaching-clt-approach-in-english-1101-towards-a-faculty-development-program-by-tichie-ann-econg-baena/.
17. Udu Titus Terver (2019) Effect of Communicative Language Teaching Approach on SS 2 Science Students’ use of English Passives in Katsina-Ala Lga of Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences (IJELS), 4(2), 297-303.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.