Endeavors for Resolving Kashmir Issue: An Estimate of Pak-India Peace Process during Musharraf Government (2003-2007)
This is an analytical study and deals with the Pak-India peace process and efforts for resolving the Kashmir Issue during the Musharraf government (2003-2007). After an extremely tense phase in Pakistan-India relations during which India mobilized troops against Pakistani border, the process of normalization began in April 2003. Initiation by Pakistan of Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) led to improvement in the atmosphere between the two countries. At a rally in Srinagar on 18th April 2003, the Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee announced that he was willing to extend a hand of friendship to Pakistan. Since Pakistan had always advocated resolution of all issues between India and Pakistan including the core issue of Jammu and Kashmir through peaceful means. Prime Minister of Pakistan Zafarullah Khan Jamali welcomed the announcement and called the Indian Prime Minister on telephone inviting him to visit Pakistan. a formal invitation was also sent hereafter which led to the resumption of dialogue between the two countries and as usual remained without results.
2. Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Op, Cit, pp. 15-16.
3. Nabiha Gul, Pakistan-India Peace Process 1990-2007: An Appraisal, (Islamabad: Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, April 2007), pp.57-58.
4. Musa Khan Jalalzai, A New Hope for Peace In South Asia: India-Pakistan Relations, Nuclear Weapons and Cross Border Infiltration, (Lahore: Al-Abba International, 2005), pp.213-214.
5. Rizwan Zeb, ‘The Makers, Breakers & Spoilers In India-Pakistan Peace Process,’ Regional Studies Vol 28, No 1, (Ed) Bashir Ahmed & dr. Shsheen Akhtar, (Islamabad: Institute of Regional Studies, Winter 2009-10), p.11.
6. Syed Riaz Ahmed, Foreign Office Year Book, Islamabad: Foreign Office Publications, 2007), p.2.
7. Dr. Rashid Ahmad Khan, ‘Pakistan-India Peace Process: An Assessment,’ IPRI Journal Vol 09, No. 1, (Ed) Mushir Anwar, (Islamabad: Policy Research Institute, Winter 2009), p.104.
8. Munawar Mirza, ‘Pak-Bharat Taluqat: Back Door Diplomacy ka Dobara Aghaz’, Sunday Magzine, (Multan: Jang Publishers, 14 Aug 2013), p.6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.